Ten DIY SUP-Inspired Halloween Costumes
‘Tis the season of goblins and ghouls and witches and warlocks, meaning it’s time to start working on your Halloween get up. Us ocean-minded humans are all about representing the big blue every chance we get, so we thought we’d help you out. The following is a collection of ten ocean-inspired costume ideas, perfect for your costume paddle or Halloween party.
1. Jellyfish: This is such a cute costume and it’s super easy too. Simply find yourself a clear or solid umbrella and adorn it with streamers, bubble wrap, and ribbons. String some battery-powered lights around the base of the umbrella for a costume that’s sure to stand out.
2. Tacky Tourist: This look is classic. Put on your worst Hawaiian shirt, a pair of khaki shorts, and knee high socks with sandals. Accessorize with a fanny pack, an oversized camera, a lea, or a visor for a look your dad would be proud of.
3. Mermaid: You know you’ve always wanted to be a mermaid, so why not go all out this Halloween? Put on a shell or coconut bra, knit yourself a tail (or buy one online) and weave some shells or fish netting into your hair. Use terms like “fintastic” and “merfriends” for an extra convincing costume.
4. Polar Bear: Believe it or not, polar bears are technically marine mammals! If you live in a colder region, this just might be the costume for you. Find an extra fuzzy white sweater to wear over a pair of white leggings or sweats. Top it off with black sneakers and gloves, paint your nose, and sew ears onto a headband.
5. Snorkeler: Grab your favorite bikini or boardshorts, a facemask, snorkel and a pair of fins and you’re good to go! If it’s cold out or you’re a little more conservative, wear your suit over black leggings and a black tee. The look will be just as cute and you’ll stay covered and warm!
6. Shark: If you’re trying to be the scariest person at the party, this costume is for you. All you need is a gray hoodie, safety pins, and some felt. Simply cut teeth out of a strip of red felt and safety pin them to the edge of the hood. Bonus points for making a fin and safety pining it to your back!
7. Lifeguard: So classic. So easy. So good. Simply find a red swimsuit, a classic Lifeguard tee, a straw hat, and smother zinc across your face. If you can get your hands on one of those red flotation devices, even better, but please don’t “borrow” one from your local beach, lifeguards actually need those things!
8. Great Pacific Garbage Patch: You’ll probably be explaining your costume all night, but it’ll be well worth it due to the number of people you’ll be educating. If you aren’t familiar, the Pacific Garbage Patch is a giant blob of trash that’s floating around the Pacific Ocean. To complete the look, simply safety pin garbage all over your clothes. We recommend using large amounts of plastic, then recycling it.
9. Squid: Purchase a squid hat from an aquarium gift store or off Amazon. Wear a solid tee and pants that match your hat and flippers if you feel so bold.
10. Pirate: White puffy shirt, eye patch, heavy eye makeup, combat boats and your best Jack Sparrow impression. Done and done.
More holiday SUP fun.