(Miami, Fla.) – On Sunday, August 26, 2012 The Paddle House, Shake-A-Leg Miami, and the Virginia Key Beach Park Trust are partnering to welcome Quiksilver Waterman and Mother Ocean’s Expedition Florida 500 (XF500) team as they complete the second segment of five warm-up paddles leading to Mother Ocean’s yearlong project in 2013 exploring and memorializing Florida’s beautiful coastlines and amazing waterways.
The second XF500 Conservation Paddle, highlighting the Florida Keys and Biscayne Bay, will end at Shake-A-Leg Miami (expected arrival at 3:00PM) with a day of celebration both on and off the waters of Biscayne Bay. Please join The Paddle House, Shake-A-Leg Miami, Virginia Key Beach Park Trust, and the paddlesports community on Sunday as we welcome the team XF500 watermen to our beautiful city.
Saturday, August 25th, the XF500 team will arrive at Historic Virginia Key Beach Park, 4020 Virginia Beach Drive, Miami, FL 33149, where they will be hosted by the Virginia Key Beach Park Trust. On Sunday, local paddlers and the general public will have the opportunity to join them on their final leg of the journey and/or at the welcoming festivities.
Paddling and Viewing Opportunities (RSVP at http://xf500.webs.com/):
- 7-mile paddle from Virginia Key to Shake-A Leg Miami led by Wayne Albert who, in March, was the first paddler to finish the Ultimate Florida Challenge, a 1200-mile paddle and 40-mile portage self-supported circumnavigation of Florida (Launch from Historic Virginia Key Beach Park and paddle to Shake-A-Leg Miami)
- 3-mile Welcome Committee paddle (Launch and return to Shake-A-Leg Miami) Led by Esther Luft of The Paddle House and Nichole Rider of Shake-A-Leg Miami
- VIP welcome party viewing is offered by Shake-A-Leg Miami aboard one of its vessels
- Industry News: Quiksilver, Tahoe SUP Announce Expedition Florida 500
- Industry News: Rogue Announces New Team Lineup
- Industry News: NEXT Swimwear and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Team Up for National SUP Day
- Industry News: YOLO Board Partners with Special Olympics Florida
- Miami Watermen Attempt First SUP Crossing of Gulf Stream