The H2O Overdrive Summer Series began in 2009 as a standup paddleboard race called the H2O Overdrive SUP Cup™, held on the beautiful banks of the Jordanelle Reservoir. After our first event, everyone was asking when we would host the next H2O Overdrive SUP Cup™. We love a good time as much as the next guy, so we committed to hold an annual H2O Overdrive SUP Cup™ event with great hopes of expanding the fun to include other sports at other venues.
With the build up of anticipation from participants from 2009, in 2010 we decided to really ramp up participation by holding the event the weekend before the Outdoor Retail Summer Market (ORSM) in Salt Lake City. The participation and spectator attendance more than doubled, and the event became one of the “must-attend” events in the standup paddle community. To this day we continue to build upon all the great moments of years past to make for one incredible event.
When asked by SUP magazine what her favorite standup paddleboard experience was in the past year, World Class standup paddler Brandi Baksic beamed, “Standup paddling down the Weber River in Utah at the H2O Overdrive™ race was a blast. I was exhausted from doing so many runs that day, but still had to make myself stop paddling. The H2O Overdrive™ race was definitely the most fun I had with SUP this year.”
William Pope, an avid paddler from North Carolina, boasted, “I am fortunate enough to travel and race throughout the country. If you want to see what this sport really has to offer, show up at the H2O Overdrive™ race in Utah.”
We are devoted to giving our competitors, spectators and sponsors the ultimate experience that will keep them coming back year after year. This attitude is what has helped our event become so popular.
This year we plan to take it to the next level, and go above and beyond any event we have ever thrown in the past. With kayaking now in the mix, we hope to blend the water sports into the event that will have people bragging about for the next 12 months.
This year’s H2O Overdrive Summer Series™ will include the following races:
Saturday, July 28 – Jordanelle Reservoir
· Ghost Town Paddle 3-mile open water SUP race
· SUP CUP 5-mile elite SUP race
· Luck-of-the-Draw ¼-mile sprint SUP Relay Race
· Kids SUP Race
Sunday, July 29 – Weber River
· SUP Cross River Challenge – White Water SUP Race
· 8 Ball River Kayak Challenge
· Supsquatch Downstream Team River Challenge
For more info, visit: H2oOverdriveSummerSeries.com
- Utah’s H2O Overdrive Series
- Industry News: Historic Paddle Races and Ocean Festival Kick off Santa Monica Summer
- Industry News: WPA Hobie-Hennessey’s U.S. Paddle Championships Announced
- Industry News: Pacifico Titles The US Stops on Standup World Series
- Industry News: Kona Brewing Company’s Wailua Wheat Returns for 5th Consecutive Summer