Standup World Tour Schedule for 2013 is announced
As we look ahead to 2013, the New Year will bring most of the same events back, but with some changes and exciting developments making for the most groundbreaking year yet for this World Championship Tour.
2013 promises to be the best yet, with the introduction of the Women’s World Championship Tour, live broadcasts from all events, increased global TV airtime, launch of the new Standup World Tour rulebook and increase in prestige and impact at all events.
Here’s an overview of the 2013 schedule:
1. Sunset Beach Pro, Oahu: 7th – 15th February
(Na Kama Kai Youth event and preliminary rounds of Women’s event to be held at Turtle Bay on 6th February)
2. Ubatuba Grand Slam, Brazil: 16th – 21st April
3. Rottnest Island Pro, W. Australia: 21st – 29th May (TBC)
4. So. Cal Grand Slam, California: 17th – 22nd September
5. La Torche Pro, France: 26th October – 3rd November
6. Location X Finals: 7th – 15th December
First up will be the iconic Sunset Beach Pro that will run from the 7th – 15th February. As usual, it will feature a major Trials event starting on the 7th, but also a Na Kama Kai Youth event on the 6th February at Turtle Bay (home of the Waterman League), as well as a Women’s event.
The women’s preliminary rounds will be held at Turtle Bay on the 6th February, but the semis and Finals are to be held at Sunset Beach alongside the men’s event during the 7th – 15th holding period. Official entry information to follow this week at StandupWorldTour.com and hotel specials are available at TurtleBaySurf.com.
The Stand Up World Series consolidates on 2012 launch
After a successful soft launch of the Stand Up World Series in 2012, the Stand Up World Series consolidates on its global presence in 2013 with a strong series of global events hitting the majority of major markets, with a few iconic events to further the image, appeal and impact of this global World Championship Series.
Here’s an overview of the schedule for 2013:
1. Magallanes Paddle Challenge, Patagonia / Chile: 14th – 17th March
2. Ubatuba Grand Slam, Brazil: 13th – 14th April
3. Oleron Paddle Challenge, France: 8th – 9th June
4. Hamburg Paddle Challenge, Germany: 16th – 17th June (date tbc)
5. Maui Paddle Challenge, Hawaii: 21st – 22nd July
6. Chicago Paddle Challenge, US: 24th – 25th August
7. China Paddle Challenge, China: 6th – 8th September (details tbc)
8. So.Cal Grand Slam, Califonia: 21st – 23rd September
9. Stand Up World Series Finals,Turtle Bay, Hawaii: 11th – 13th October
First up will be the Magallanes Paddle Challenge, an event that will provide a dramatic opening to the 2013 season and one of the most striking backdrops imaginable. This US$20,000 prize-money event will kick the year off in style from the 14th – 17th March. More information, official entry details and more on travel and all inclusive packages will follow this week at StandupWorldSeries.com
High Profile exhibition event to be held in the U.A.E
In conjunction with the Abu Dhabi Beach Games and the Abu Dhabi Sport’s Council, the Waterman League is set to announce an all-new exhibition event at the groundbreaking Wadi Adventure Park, featuring a selection of the World’s very best Standup Paddle surfers.
The Wadi Adventure Park is one of the world’s leading wave pools, providing an unsurpassed competitive environment for the World’s best, as they will each ride the same waves and have the opportunity to go left and right, as well as boost off the close-out.
Taking out the element of luck / chance as far as wave selection is concerned, it will all come down to the athlete’s performance on the day, as they will battle it out for a rich prize-purse and the Title in the U.A.E.
In addition to the surf event, the athletes will also take on a whitewater descent on inflatable boards down the longest man made white water channel in the world – another dramatic first for the sport and the region.
Running from the 21st – 24th March, the event will be broadcast live from Wadi Adventure Park, so this will be an event not to be missed in every respect. What’s more, unlike other surf events, the schedule of events and broadcasts are set in stone without the variables of the Ocean to negotiate. So stay tuned for final confirmation and information on this dramatic event at StandupWorldTour.com
Watch out for global TV broadcasts from 2012 season
Watch out for ongoing TV broadcasts from both the Standup World Tour and Standup World Series on premier global networks such as NBC Sports, Universal, Time Warner Cable, Fox networks Australia (Fuel TV), Eurosport, Globo TV and many more. We will keep you posted on upcoming airdates on the Standup World Tour and Standup World Series Facebook pages, so stay tuned and enjoy the shows. Happy New Year and a Hui Hou!
For more, visit: StandupWorldTour.com
- Standup World Tour Announces Location X
- Industry News: ISA Announces 2013 World SUP and Paddleboard Championships
- Standup World Tour: Location X Kicks Off
- Industry News: Pacifico Titles The US Stops on Standup World Series
- Standup World Tour: Sunset Pro Trials