(NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.) – On Saturday, May 4, 2013, Standup for the Cure will hold its second annual fundraising event at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California to support the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®– every $125 raised will potentially save a life by enabling a mammogram. Entry fee for the event is $35 per person. The fundraiser is from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with a clinic by top international paddlers, instructing the attendees, including the organization’s ambassador Zane Schweitzer. Irvine’s Ruth Chris Steakhouse will provide lunch, and Barefoot Wines and Kona Brewing Company will sponsor a happy hour that will have live music by Wheeland Brothers and Crimson Crowbar.
“We were thrilled with the success of the first event, that raised more than $60,000 for our organization, and are honored to have the event continue. Mammograms are vital for identifying breast cancer at an early stage, so this event really is a lifesaver,” said Lisa Wolter, Executive Director of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G Komen for the Cure.
The event will take place at Newport Dunes, visible from Pacific Coast Highway, and will have a paddling course that will wind through the scenic harbor with a sea of pink paddlers.
“We’re expecting an even bigger crowd this year and have added new events that will appeal to participants of all ages including a kids’ relay, pet costume parade, and a sandcastle competition along with free life-saving cancer screenings,” said Judie Vivian, volunteer and founder of Standup for the Cure. “We truly will ‘Have Fun and Save Lives!” she continued.
Whether you’re a novice or an expert, Standup for the Cure events offer something for everyone. The event set a world Record at its 2012 inaugural event with more than 700 paddlers taking a Standup Paddleboard clinic led by Zane Schweitzer. Additional participating experts include Matt Hughes, Brendon Light, Jayson Campbell and Daniel Hughes.
Riviera Paddlesurf, Yolo Board, Rogue SUP, Starboard and others will supply loaner boards and demonstrations for new paddlers. Sponsors for Standup for the Cure’s 2013 event include: Riviera Paddlesurf; Maui Jim; Kona Brewing Company; Barefoot Winery; Ruth’s Chris Steak House; Ocean-Minded and Victory KoreDry.
“Standup for the Cure’s May 4 event is an excellent opportunity for families, friends and survivors to get together, have a great day filled with fun while raising money and ultimately save lives by doing something they love,” said event director Dan Van Dyck, whose mother is a 39-year breast cancer survivor.
• STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CILINIC taught by world-class Standup for the Cure ambassador including Zane Schweitzer. Other illustrious teachers include Matt Hughes, Brendon Light, Jayson Campbell and Daniel Hughes.
• SILENT AUCTION: Presenting Sponsor, Riviera Paddlesurf, has donated one of the limited edition Standup for the Cure paddle boards. Other items include SUP boards from Starboard, Boardworks and JP Australia and Pink paddles from Quickblade along with Maui Jim sunglasses, Disneyland tickets and Facial Laser Treatment.
• MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT (2 Bands):
◦ Wheeland Brothers — Two Southern Californian brothers who grew up in Orange County. They combine the cool attitude and summertime energy of reggae with the down-to-earth, organic honesty of acoustic rock and ukulele lullabies. In 2012 Wheeland Brothers released their first album along with the music video for their first single, “Sand in My Sheets”
◦ Crimson Crowbar — Band member Frank Sims has recorded, toured and co-written songs with Mick Jagger, Stevie Nicks and David Lee Roth, among others and was a double Grammy nominee with Don Henley.
• FREE CANCER SCREENING: Screenings for the three potentially treatable cancers are available during the event – Breast, Skin and Colon. Cancer specialists from UCI Cancer Center and Komen supported Clinics will perform the screenings on-site.
• YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is on a paddleboard—a yoga practice carried out on paddleboards in the water. A combination of standup paddling and yoga is known for giving the body a “core” workout because of the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance while performing yoga poses. The clinic will be demonstrated by the Paddleboard Bliss team from Orange County.
• FOOD AND DRINK: Irvine’s Ruth’s Chris Steak House will provide lunch; Happy hour with live music will be presented by Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Wine to wrap up the day.
• NEW ACTIVITIES: The 2013 agenda include a Kid’s Relay, Sandcastle Competition and a Pet Costume Parade.
• “PINK” ATTIRE: Participants that register by May 1 will receive a complimentary custom Pink SUP Jersey from Victory KoreDry.
• PARKING: All day parking is available at Newport Dunes for $5 per vehicle
• “Dry” participants can take part in all festivities without getting on the water if they prefer
In support of the cause participants can sign up as a team or individual through the Active Giving Portal.