Snokeling via paddleboard access in La Jolla cove. Photo: Aaron Black-Schmidt

Maximum day usage. That’s how we roll. Photo: Aaron Black-Schmidt

#MaxYourDays | This is How We Do It

There aren't enough hours in a day. Our staff knows that too well. The world of a nine-to-five office-jockey hooked on SUP is a packed plate. You'll find us at our desks with surf cams streaming on second monitors, our Subarus primed in the parking lot with boards readied on the rack. Yeah, we're "those guys." The ones who show up to conference rooms with sand in our toes and saltwater in our ears. We do what we love, then, we get off work and do what we love more. We spend our share of days paddling till it's black.

Making time when time’s limited—that's what #MaxYourDays is all about. If you live by it—even for a day—you know its merits. It’s the art of living full—not just taking life at a million miles an hour, but taking a million mile-an-hour lifes and making it feel like five knots. It’s a way to make your days last a little longer.

Yesterday was the summer equinox, the longest day of the year. Thanks to encouragement from The North Face, we spent it epitomizing the #MaxYourDays way—going out and maxing our own. Thanks to the maxing-paddler lives we live, it ended up being a great day like all the others, just a little longer. And we still paddled till it was black.

We Maxed Our Days

An introductory downwinder? Not a bad way to #maxyourday. Editor Will Taylor and little brother plot their course along the fickle Oregon coastline.

An introductory downwinder? Not a bad way to #maxyourday. Editor Will Taylor and little brother plot their course along the fickle Oregon coastline.

I woke up at dawn on the summer equinox and looked out over the wild Pacific ocean from the very room I grew up in. The waves were tiny, the wind light. More sleep, coffee emails, a phone conference and a little web work was the right way to start the day, especially since I can keep an eye on the conditions from my parents' kitchen table.

One of the nice things about being an editor at SUP magazine is the ability to work remotely. I'm currently back home visiting my family, seeing friends, paddling, surfing and trying to get some work done in between it all.

I kept my head down for a few hours and before long the wind was picking up to summer levels—20 knots plus. A downwinder looked imminent. Except no one downwind paddles here. The ocean is intimidating in the Pacific Northwest: tempestuous, skin-shrinking and unpredictable. But my little brother Max is a surfer and game for just about anything, including his first downwinder.

We found a couple boards that would do the job, picked a launch point north of town and put on some thick rubber to do battle. It was a messy run featuring inappropriate boards, jumbled conditions and the constant thought of the creatures that patrol these teeming waters. When we hit the beach in front of my parents' house less than two hours later our muscles were noodly, our bodies steaming inside of thick neoprene and big grins on our faces. Max was stoked, already talking about his next downwinder (likely tomorrow).

And then it was back to work, where I'm at now. But after I finish writing this, I'm going to make a cocktail and cook shrimp and crab cakes with sweet potato fries and a chopped quinoa salad for my family and fiancé. Then we're going to watch the sun set over the wind-whipped Pacific. #MaxedThatDay — Will Taylor, Editor-in-Chief


Diving, jiving, maxing and relaxin'. We're pretty sure the fish was maxing, too. Photo: Aaron Black-Schmidt

Diving, jiving, maxing and relaxin’. Photo: Aaron Black-Schmidt

I was in my wood shop when it got towed. In my garage rocking out to the radio and building my new board rack. The hatch was still open. I'd been unloading. The tow-truck came and went before I noticed. It was 9:30pm the night before the summer solstice. Damn you truck driver. How will I ever max my day on the equinox if I have to spend the morning tracking down my hijacked vehicle? I went to bed feeling robbed.

The next morning I woke with the sun. It was the longest day of the year and I wasn't about to let a little bad luck spoil it. But the normal routine of coffee and toast and straight to the beach wasn't an option with no car. So I improvised.

The sunrise was insane and reminded me of the view from my roof. Coffee in hand, I climbed up the drainpipe with a yoga mat for some deep breathing and sunrise salutations. Over the years I've come to realize, making time to start the day in a positive mind state is critical to maxing. Yoga on the roof? Gets the job done.

Mind meditated, I worked for a few hours from my balcony, posted some radical SUP content and by 8am my Suby was out of the impound. I even had a pleasant conversation with the old lady in the towing office. She didn't give me a discount, but whatever. This day was for all things maxing. Debit card? Check.

I went home and loaded up. Two 12'6" rec boards, two paddles, two bundles of snorkel gear. On this day of ultimate maxation, photo editor Aaron Black-Schmidt and I were headed to the protected waters of La Jolla Cove. We arrived with an entourage and launched in style. I had four pairs of fins and four masks strapped to my deck punching through the surf. We paddled, snorkeled, swam with seals and garibaldi and beached. That's about all the variety I can realistically imagine in a two-hour paddle.

Sponsored Content: Courtesy of The North Face and Sherpas Cinema

After paddling, I surfed for half an hour more before heading to the office. Gotta max that day, right boss? Finally in my cubicle by noon, I made a point to be as efficient as possible with my work. The morning's taste of sun and salt had me jonesing for more. Work done, social media scheduled, home-free and happy, I raced the sun to the beach for a sunset paddle. It was a full strawberry moon that night, and the idea was when the sun went down, the moon would be out and I'd be able to surf into night. It actually worked, but the moonrise was so striking that eventually I had to paddle in and shoot some photos.

I spent the next two hours chasing and shooting the moon around San Diego. When I was finally happy with my shots, I returned home and finished building my surf rack before heading to bed at midnight. This time, I pulled my car all the way into the garage. Today I woke with boards on the rack. I skipped the yoga and cut straight to the paddle. I'll do both tomorrow. Maxed yesterday. Maxing today. Max tomorrow. It's a way of life. —Mike Misselwitz, Digital Editor

Shooting the Strawberry Moon, summer solstice 2016. #MAXYOURDAYS! Photo: Mike Misselwitz

Shooting the Strawberry Moon, summer solstice 2016. #MAXYOURDAYS! Photo: Mike Misselwitz

More #MaxYourDays