(Newport Beach, Calif.) – Standup for the Cure, presented by Riviera Paddlesurf, raised more than $100,000 at its second annual standup paddling event at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California on Saturday, May 4 to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure Orange County®. The annual event is the cornerstone of Standup for the Cure, but the organization raises funds year-round. Every $125 raised will potentially save a life by enabling a mammogram.
"We can't thank the sponsors, participants, celebrity athlete instructors and volunteers enough!" said Judie Vivian, volunteer organizer and founder of Standup for the Cure. "Having this event continue into its second year is a dream come true. With the support of the fabulous volunteer doctors and nurses, we were able to offer education and cancer screening at the event, and with the funds raised we can fund even more mammograms through Komen OC than our inaugural year. So we were able to 'Have Fun and Save Lives' as we had envisioned."
Running from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. the event had a standup paddle clinic led by elite paddlers Anthony Vela, Shelby Schweitzer, Matt Becker and Brennan Rose. Ruth Chris Steakhouse from Irvine and Del Mar provided lunch, and Barefoot Wines and Kona Brewing Company provided happy hour libations. Live music was provided by Crimson Crowbar and the Wheeland Brothers.
"Seeing the sea of pink standup paddlers as they wound through the Newport Dunes harbor was breathtaking. It just blew me away to see such solidarity and support," said Vivian. "It's hard to believe that I once felt alone in my journey with breast cancer – I'm so proud of what we've been able to accomplish for awareness and support," Vivian added.
The event took place at Newport Dunes, visible from Pacific Coast Highway, and had a paddling course that wound through the scenic harbor. Shawneen Schweitzer, a former world champion windsurfer, and on-air personality Dreu Murin served as the day's emcees.
Sponsors for Standup for the Cure's 2013 event included: Riviera Paddlesurf; Maui Jim; Kona Brewing Company; Barefoot Winery; Ruth's Chris Steak House Irvine and Del Mar locations; Ocean Minded and Victory KoreDry. Events at the second annual event included:
• STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CILINIC taught by Anthony Vela, Matt Becker and Brennan Rose, top international paddleboards. Other illustrious teachers included Matt Schweitzer, Shelby Schweitzer, Riggs Napoleon and Kristen Thomas.
• LIVE AND SILENT AUCTIONS AND AN OPPORTUNITY DRAWING: Presenting Sponsor, Riviera Paddlesurf, donated one of the limited edition Standup for the Cure paddle boards. Other items include SUP boards from Starboard, Boardworks and JP Australia and Pink paddles from Quickblade along with Maui Jim sunglasses, Disneyland tickets and Facial Laser Treatment.
• MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT (2 live bands):
Crimson Crowbar — Band member Frank Simes has recorded, toured and co-written songs with Mick Jagger, Stevie Nicks and David Lee Roth, among others and was a double Grammy nominee with Don Henley.
The Wheeland Brothers — Two Southern Californian brothers who grew up in Orange County. They combine the cool attitude and summertime energy of reggae with the down-to-earth, organic honesty of acoustic rock and ukulele lullabies. In 2012 Wheeland Brothers released their first album along with the music video for their first single, “Sand in My Sheets”.
• FREE CANCER SCREENING: Screenings for three potentially treatable cancers were available during the event – Breast, Skin and Colon. Cancer specialists from UCI Cancer Center and Komen supported Clinics performed the screenings on-site.
• YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is on a paddleboard—a yoga practice carried out on paddleboards in the water. A combination of standup paddling and yoga is known for giving the body a “core” workout because of the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance while performing yoga poses. The clinic was demonstrated by the Paddleboard
Bliss team from Orange County.
• NEW FUN ACTIVITIES: The 2013 agenda included a Live Auction, Kid's Relay, Sandcastle Competition and a Pet Costume Parade
In support of the cause, donations are accepted year-round through the Active Giving Portal here.