Ambassadors Announced for SUFTC Newport Beach
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – Standup for the Cure (SUFTC) kicks off its sixth year of fundraising with its flagship event Saturday, May 6 from 9:00am-3:00pm at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California. Over 1,000 participants are anticipated to come show their support of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen. .
Our global Ambassadors have been incredibly successful already this year:
– Zane Schweitzer was crowned the "Ultimate Waterman" for the second year in New Zealand
– Annabel Anderson, won the Carolina Cup to maintain her position as the World's Number One Female Paddler
– Joanne Hamilton-Vale, established the World Record for both Men and Women paddling the longest distance in 24 hours
Join us on May 6th and meet our Ambassadors so you can learn from the best paddlers in the world!
SUFTC National Sponsor Ambry Genetics, along with Presenting Sponsor, Kaiser Permanente, and supporting Sponsors Maui Jim, Kona Brewing Co, Barefoot Wine and Bubbly, AO Coolers, Home Point Financial and Pau Maui Vodka. are committed to the SUFTC motto: "Have Fun and Save Lives!"
Entry fee for the Newport Dunes event is $35/person, and every $125 raised enables women in need access to breast cancer screening. Participants can register as a team or individual and/or donate here: https://www.crowdrise.com/NewportBeachStandUpForTheCure2017
To date SUFTC has raised over $870,000 in support of the Susan G. Komen, which provides valuable breast health services to local women in need. On top of the money raised, SUFTC has screened over 700 participants for breast cancer and melanoma on site for free.
"This is our sixth year and I am so proud of our accomplishments," said Judie Vivian, SUFTC co-founder. "We've raised a tremendous amount of money in support of Susan G. Komen, but more importantly we've screened hundreds of women at our events, and brought the love and support of the paddling community to families impacted by breast cancer."
Following Newport Beach, events are planned for Muskegon Mi and Seattle Wa."Anywhere there is a body of water and people passionate about ending breast cancer, we can host a Standup for the Cure event," says National Event Director, Dan Van Dyck.
May 6th Newport Dunes Events include:
- STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CLINIC taught by world-class SUFTC ambassadors, including the Schweitzer family, Joanne Hamilton-Vale and Annabel Anderson. Other qualified instructors include Brennan Rose. Pete Kozinski and Chuck Glynn
- SILENT AUCTION: Bid on Boards, Paddles and bikes from our generous partners
- MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT: Enjoy local talent, Trevor Greene brought to you by "On Point Promotions"
- FREE CANCER SCREENING: Breast cancer and melanoma screenings will be offered during the event. Cancer specialists from Kaiser Permanente will offer these at the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo. Expert counselors will be on hand to help participants understand how to get affordable healthcare.
- YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is to practice on a paddleboard, giving the body a “core” workout from the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance. Suzanne Yeo, SUFTC ambassador and breast cancer survivor, will lead the clinic.
- FOOD AND DRINK: ACTIVITIES: The 2017 agenda include a Kids Race, a Surprise Format Pro Race, and the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo.
- "PINK" ATTIRE: Participants that register by May 05, 2017 will receive a complimentary Official pink Standup for the Cure jersey from GreenLayer.
- PARKING: All-day parking is available at Newport Dunes for $5 per vehicle.
- "Dry Foot" participants can take part in all festivities without getting in the water
In support of the fight against breast cancer, participants can sign up as a team or individual through https://www.crowdrise.com/NewportBeachStandUpForTheCure2017
More information can be found at the SUFTC website, via Twitter @StandUp4TheCure and on https://www.facebook.com/StandupForTheCure/. For high resolution photographs from previous years' events and for the upcoming May 6th event, please contact our SUFTC official photographer Harry Weiwel (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (562) 673-3481).
About Standup for the Cure:
Standup for the Cure is a unique not-for-profit support organization that introduces the breast cancer community to the healthy, active lifestyle of standup paddleboarding while raising money and awareness for early breast cancer detection, treatment, research and education.