Countdown to Standup For The Cure
We invite paddlers of all skill-levels and abilities, as well as fun teams, to partake in the Third Annual Standup for the Cure event this Saturday, May 3, in Newport Beach, Calif. Enjoy clinics with pro standup paddlers, gear demos, live music, lunch, happy hour, and celebrity prize-giving, as well as access to free breast and skin cancer screenings, and genetic testing information.
"A Sea of Pink"
As the doves are released at 10am during the Hawaiian Blessing, everyone will paddle out on SUPs at the sound of the conch, for a ceremonial parade around the water, led by our Ambassadors Zane Schweitzer, Suzanne Yeo, and Georganna Wadsack. This is a parade in celebration of our breast cancer survivors, not a race, so please get out on the water regardless of your skill-level. Two people on one board are welcome, as well as kids and doggies! Let's see how many we can muster for this third annual celebratory parade!
Fun 5K Race
Races begin following the "Sea of Pink" celebration parade. Prizes will be awarded for top three places in the following categories:
Men's and Women's Racing 12'6"
Men and Women's Racing 14'
Men and Women's Unlimited
The "Survivor Island Finish"
Top three paddlers of the 5k Race in each division (12'-6", 14', unltd men/women) and top three paddlers in the Fun Paddle will be required to dig up a buried Kukui Nut lei in designated area before crossing finish line. Times will only be recorded for top three paddlers in each division. ***Remember why we are gathering…this is a Fun event meant to bring our community together in order to save lives.
This will follow the 5K Race and will be a "scavenger" race to pick up hidden treasure!
Team Relay Race
The Team who raises the most funds by 9am on May 3rd will get a starting advantage and there are great race prizes!!
A World without Breast Cancer
Have Fun and Save Lives
Accomplishments for 2012
• Guinness World Record for largest SUP Lesson
• SUP Magazine's 2012 SUP Awards "Top Philanthropic Effort"
• Raised over $60,000 for Susan G. Komen OC
Accomplishments for 2013
• Over 1,000 participants
• Raised $100,000 for Susan G. Komen OC Conducted Breast Exams and Melanoma Screenings
New Venues outside California for Fall 2014
• London, UK
2014 Event Highlights:• Hawaiian Blessing of Breast Cancer Survivors
• Release of white doves in memory of those lost to Breast Cancer
• Launch of the SUP "Sea of Pink" Paddlers
• Kids SUP Races
• 5K SUP Races for Advanced and Intermediate Paddlers
• Team Relay SUP Races
• Doggie Costume Parade
• Zane Schweitzer SUP Clinics – learn from World Champions!
• Breast Cancer Survivor Standup Paddle and SUP Fitness Lessons
• Breast and Skin Screening Exams by Kaiser Permanente Doctors
• Genetic Testing Information from Ambry Genetics counselors
• Lunch by Ruth's Chris and Gardein
• Happy Hour with Kona Brewing Beer and Barefoot Winery
• Live Music by The Wheeland Brothers
• Opportunity Drawing for Raffle Prizes
• Silent Auction of SUP Boards, Paddles and more
• Celebrity Prize Giving
Here’s a look back at the 2013 Standup for the Cure:
To REGISTER, click here.
To DONATE, click here.
For more information, visit: Standup-for-the-Cure.org
Or, contact: Info@Standup-for-the-Cure.org, Elaine@EmpoweredPR.com
Click here for more Industry News.