N.C. SUP Season Kicks Off with Beach Biathlon
The competitive SUP season kicked off in North Carolina last weekend with the Fifth Annual Wrightsville Beach Biathlon at Blockade Runner Beach Resort. Standup paddlers and runners from Maryland to South Carolina enjoyed sunny skies with temperatures in the 70s.
The first leg of the beach biathlon was a four-mile SUP course on Banks Channel, beginning with an incoming tide, circumventing Money Island via the Intracoastal Waterway, and traveling through Motts Channel back to the starting point.
With the first half of the biathlon complete, biathletes and relay team members left the water and sprinted toward the oceanfront in a four-mile pier-to-pier footrace on the sand to the finish line.
Individual Men’s Division
1. Jeremy Whitted; Charleston, SC
2. Erik Bigsby; Wilmington, NC
3. Robert Netsch; Kitty Hawk, NC
4. Andrew Glidden; Wilmington, NC
5. Claude Arnold; Wrightsville Beach
Individual Women’s Division
1. Dawn Ehman; Ocean City, MD
2. Kate Lewis; New Bern, NC
3. Karen Wilson; Wilmington, NC
4. April Zilg; Wilmington, NC
5. Christina Dees: Wilmington, NC
1. Mark Austin and Kevin Rhodes; Wilmington
2. Kathryn and Wes Stolp; Wilmington
3. Barry Blackburn and Ron Wormwood; Wilmington
4. Haywood Newkirk; Wrightsville Beach
5. Anna and Makayla Blackburn; Wilmington
“This race is a good warm-up after a long, cold winter,” said Jarrod Covington, Wrightsville Beach Biathlon chair and race director.